My Dog Ate Too Many Heartworm Pills What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten too many heartworm pills? Are you worried the heartworm pills will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a quick look at heartworm pills and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Heartworm Pills?Check Price on Amazon
Heartworm pills are a medication that can be given to dogs to prevent him from developing heartworms. Heartworms are caused by the bite of a mosquito that’s infected with these parasites. Just one bite is enough to inject heartworm larvae into the dog. The parasites then travel to the heart and lungs, where they take up residence. If left untreated, this condition can lead to death.
This is where heartworm pills come in. They’re used to prevent the dog from developing this type of infection.
It’s important to know that heartworm medications are considered safe when used at the correct dosage and in the right manner.
However, what happens if your dog has too many heartworm pills?
Heartworm Pills & Dogs
It is possible for a dog to have too much heartworm medication. Dogs who overdose on heartworm pills may experience problems with their central nervous system.
Some dog breeds are more susceptible to a heartworm medication overdose, including:
- Old English and Shetland Sheepdogs
- Australian, English, and German Shepherds
- Silken Windhound
- Long Haired Whippet
- Herding breed crosses
Symptoms of Heartworm Pill Overdose in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested too many heartworm pills:
- Uncoordinated movements
- Difficulty breathing
- Respiratory collapse
- Dilated pupils
- Drooling excessively
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then it’s time to call the vet. This is a medical emergency that may be life-threatening if left untreated. Also, be sure to take the pill packaging along to the vet’s. This will let the vet see the dosage.
Treatment of Heartworm Pill Overdose in Dogs
Because there’s no antidote, the vet will begin supportive care of your dog. This may include an IV with fluids, corticosteroids, and other medications. If the pills were recently ingested, the vet might try to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal to remove the toxin from your dog’s body.
In most cases, your fur baby will have to stay in the hospital for a few days, especially if his symptoms were severe.
Recovery for heartworm pill overdose can take weeks or months, depending on the symptom severity. In most cases, dogs who receive prompt medical treatment will go on to make a full recovery.