My Dog Ate Too Many Heartworm Pills What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 03/11/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Has your dog eaten too many heartworm pills? Are you worried the heartworm pills will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a quick look at heartworm pills and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

What are Heartworm Pills?

Heartworm pills are a medication that can be given to dogs to prevent him from developing heartworms. Heartworms are caused by the bite of a mosquito that’s infected with these parasites. Just one bite is enough to inject heartworm larvae into the dog. The parasites then travel to the heart and lungs, where they take up residence. If left untreated, this condition can lead to death.

This is where heartworm pills come in. They’re used to prevent the dog from developing this type of infection.

It’s important to know that heartworm medications are considered safe when used at the correct dosage and in the right manner.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

However, what happens if your dog has too many heartworm pills?

Heartworm Pills & Dogs

It is possible for a dog to have too much heartworm medication. Dogs who overdose on heartworm pills may experience problems with their central nervous system.

Some dog breeds are more susceptible to a heartworm medication overdose, including:

Symptoms of Heartworm Pill Overdose in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested too many heartworm pills:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then it’s time to call the vet. This is a medical emergency that may be life-threatening if left untreated. Also, be sure to take the pill packaging along to the vet’s. This will let the vet see the dosage.

Treatment of Heartworm Pill Overdose in Dogs

Because there’s no antidote, the vet will begin supportive care of your dog. This may include an IV with fluids, corticosteroids, and other medications. If the pills were recently ingested, the vet might try to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal to remove the toxin from your dog’s body.

In most cases, your fur baby will have to stay in the hospital for a few days, especially if his symptoms were severe.

Recovery for heartworm pill overdose can take weeks or months, depending on the symptom severity. In most cases, dogs who receive prompt medical treatment will go on to make a full recovery.

(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]