My Dog Ate Velcro What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 08/01/21 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dogs love to eat things they shouldn’t! There are various reasons for this, but it’s a fact that dogs will eat almost anything and everything, including Velcro! But can Velcro make a dog sick?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten Velcro? Are you worried the Velcro will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it’s scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at Velcro and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Velcro?

Velcro is a type of touch fastener, which includes two different sides. One side of Velcro contains a fabric that has tiny hooks, while the other piece of fabric has smaller loops. The hooks and loops attach to one another until they’re torn about.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Velcro is used on everything from dog toys, kids’ & adult clothing, tennis shoes, and so much more! The fastener is much appreciated for being so easy to work with. There are no buttons or zippers—you don’t need them when you can use Velcro.

These touch fasteners are wonderful inventions; however, what happens if a dog eats Velcro?

Velcro & Dogs

The good news is that Velcro is not toxic to dogs. However, it has the potential to make them very sick. This is because Velcro could bunch up in the intestines and cause an obstruction.

The key here is the size of your dog and how much Velcro he’s eaten. If you have a small dog who has eaten a very small piece of Velcro, chances are he will be OK. The Velcro piece will eventually make it out into your dog’s poop. However, if a small dog eats a lot of Velcro, he could develop an intestinal blockage.

The same goes for a large dog. If the dog eats a small piece of Velcro, he’ll be OK. However, if he eats a larger amount, he could run into the same problem as the smaller dog—an intestinal blockage.

Call the Vet Right Away

So, if your dog has swallowed Velcro, the best thing is to call the vet immediately. They’ll have the best information on what you need to do next to help your fur baby.

Another danger with dogs and Velcro is that the material could become a choking hazard. So, if your dog immediately develops breathing issues, then it’s time to call the vet immediately.

Your dog has a very good chance of making a complete recovery if he receives prompt medical treatment after eating Velcro!

(Visited 2,531 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading