My Dog Ate Berries from A Tree What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 01/11/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate Berries from A Tree

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs love to explore their environment, even if it’s only the backyard garden. There’s always something amazing to find there! But sometimes dogs try to eat things they shouldn’t. For instance, they may try to eat berries from a tree they find. Dogs are curious and so want to see if these are some new great food! However, can the berries from a tree make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten berries from a tree? Are you worried the berries from a tree will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about berries from trees and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Berries from a Tree?

There are many types of berries that grow on trees. The berries may contain yummy fleshy fruit and seeds. The berries may be safe; however, it’s also possible the tree berries could be toxic.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What happens if a dog eats berries from a tree? Will the berries make a dog sick?

Berries from a Tree & Dogs

If you know what the tree is and that the berries are not poisonous, then your dog may be OK. It’s important to monitor him for any concerning symptoms. These may include diarrhea and vomiting that last longer than 12 to 24 hours. It may also include an allergic reaction if the dog is allergic to the berries.

However, if you’re not sure what the berries are, then it’s possible they are toxic to your dog.

Symptoms of Berry Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten toxic berries from a tree:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Be sure to let the vet know (if possible) how many berries the dog has eaten. Then tell the vet about what time this happened. It can help to take a sample of the tree and berries to the vet. If that’s not possible, then take a picture of the berries and the tree. This may help the vet determine what type of berries your dog has eaten.

The vet may induce vomiting or use activated charcoal. There’s also a good chance your fur baby will need an IV for fluids and to administer medications. Depending on the severity of your dog’s condition, he may need to be hospitalized for a few days.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. So, be sure to get your fur baby to the vet. His life depends on it!

(Visited 1,144 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]