My Dog Ate Azithromycin What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 01/15/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Medications meant for humans can be harmful for dogs. Sometimes the ingredients are not meant for use in pets, while other times the dosage is too high for the dog. But what about antibiotics? Is it dangerous if your dog eats antibiotics meant for you?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at Azithromycin and if this can be toxic to your fur baby.

What is Azithromycin?

Azithromycin is a commonly prescribed broad-spectrum antibiotic for humans and our fur babies. It’s often used to treat chest infections, pneumonia, sinus infections, Lyme disease, and more. This medicine is used in both kids and adults.

This is an antibiotic that usually comes in capsules, tablets or liquid form. It’s usually taken twice a day—once in the morning and again in the evening. The dose depends on the age and weight of the patient. The dose for kids will be smaller than that for most adults.

In pets, Azithromycin is used to treat bacterial, rickettsial, and parasitic infections. The form is either tablet or liquid and it’s taken by mouth. Here, too, the dose will usually be lower than for a human and depends on the size and weight of the pet.

Is this medication toxic for dogs?

Azithromycin & Dogs

If your dog has eaten one pill and the medication was prescribed for him, then he should be OK.

However, if he ate more than one dose and/or the medication was yours, this could be a problem. Your canine companion could develop the following symptoms:

Along with the symptoms listed above, there’s also the concern that if the medication was not prescribed for your dog, there’s a chance he could be allergic to it. In that case, you may notice these symptoms if your dog ingested Azithromycin and is having an allergic reaction:

If you know or suspect your dog has ingested a large dose of Azithromycin, then you should call the vet right away. If your dog is having breathing difficulties, then consider this a medical emergency and get your dog to the vet ASAP.

The good news is that with prompt treatment of an overdose or an allergic reaction, most dogs will go on to a fully recovery.

To prevent this from happening in the future, be sure to keep all medications (those meant for you or your dog) out of your dog’s reach.

(Visited 1,545 times, 2 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading