My Dog Ate Agar What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 03/07/23 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Agar

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Some dogs will eat almost anything, especially if they see their pet parents eating it! Pet parents are leaders of the pack and are obligated to share most foods with the rest of the pack. At least, this is how a dog may see it! So, if a dog sees their pet parent eating agar, they may want to try some, too! A dog can be stealthy and help himself at times! But what happens if a dog eats agar?

Has your dog eaten agar? Are you afraid the agar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about agar and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Agar?

Agar is a jelly-like substance that comes from red seaweed. This substance is a mix of carbohydrates that is extracted from red seaweed and can be used in many ways. For instance, agar is often used in cooking, as a filling in sizing paper & fabric, used to thicken soup and more.

While agar is considered to be safe for humans (when used as directed), what happens if a dog eats it? Can agar make a dog sick?

Agar & Dogs

Thankfully, agar is not toxic to dogs. It’s sometimes used in dog foods and is considered safe in the right amounts. However, it is possible for a dog to get into a package of agar and eat too much.

In that case, it’s possible the dog could develop vomiting and diarrhea.

Symptoms of Agar Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten agar:

These symptoms may last between 12 to 24 hours. If they last longer, it’s a good idea to call the vet. Persistent diarrhea and vomiting can cause a dog to become dehydrated.

Treatment of Agar Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may treat your dog with medications to stop diarrhea and vomiting. And if your fur baby has become dehydrated, the vet may give him an IV with fluids to rehydrate him.

In case a dog is allergic to agar (rare, but it can happen), the vet may treat your canine companion with antihistamines to control allergy symptoms. In some cases, a dog may need corticosteroids to reduce allergy symptoms. And in rare cases, it is possible that a dog could develop an anaphylactic reaction to agar. The vet would then use epinephrine to stop the reaction.

The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery after eating agar! In the future, it’s a good idea to keep agar out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 146 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading