Lilies, including Asiatic lilies, are beautiful flowers that are very popular in floral arrangements and to grow in the garden. If you have a dog, he may become curious about the Asiatic lilies. And as dogs do, he may eat the Asiatic lily to learn more about it. But what happens if a dog eats an Asiatic lily?
Has your dog eaten an Asiatic lily? Are you worried the Asiatic lily will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about Asiatic lilies and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Asiatic Lily?
Asiatic lilies are flowers that are part of the Lilium species in the Liliaceae family. These flowers are known as true lilies and include the following plants:
- Asiatic hybrids
- Easter lily
- Japanese lily
- Oriental lily hybrids
- Stargazer lily
- Tiger lily
- Casa Blanca lily
- And more
These are amazing flowers! But what happens if a dog eats an Asiatic lily?
Asiatic Lilies & Dogs
Unfortunately, Asiatic lilies are extremely toxic to dogs. They can even cause death. The plants contain substances called colchicine alkaloids. These are most concentrated in the plant’s tuber. However, all parts of the plant are toxic. These substances can cause organ damage and more.
Symptoms of Asiatic Lily Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an Asiatic lily:
- Swollen abdomen
- Change in urination (increase or decrease)
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Jaundice (skin & eyes)
- And more
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Your dog needs to see the vet ASAP.
Treatment of Asiatic Lily Ingestion in Dogs
The vet may start by inducing vomiting and using activated charcoal to rid your fur baby’s system of the toxins. They may also give your dog an IV with fluids to help flush the toxins out of your dog’s body. The fluids also work to reduce the chances of kidney or liver damage.
Your dog will most likely need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
If the kidney has been damaged, the vet may need to put your dog on dialysis to prevent permanent damage to the kidneys. The vet will also treat any other symptoms as they arise.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating Asiatic lilies. In the future, it’s best to keep these plants out of your dog’s reach and out of his yard. You’ll both be happier for it.