My Dog Ate A Sock What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 09/27/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate A Sock What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs are famous for eating anything and everything, including things that aren’t good for them! They tend to go for some pretty strange things, including socks. A dog may play with a sock, not intending to eat it. Instead, they may swallow it by accident. However, there are dogs that will eat a sock. So, if you’re missing one or more socks, you may want to consider your dog as the culprit! But what happens if a dog eats a sock?

Has your dog eaten a sock? Are you worried the sock will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about socks and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Socks?

Socks are clothing that’s worn on the feet. They usually cover the ankles and a part of the calf. Socks work to keep our feet warm, but they also absorb the perspiration from our feet throughout the day.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

The first machine-knit socks were made in the 16th century! Who knew?

Socks can be made with a wide range of materials, including nylon, cotton, wood, acrylic, polyester, olefins, bamboo, silk, linen, and more. Socks also come in various styles and colors!

While socks are safe for humans to wear, what happens if a dog eats a sock?

Socks & Dogs

Unfortunately, socks can be dangerous for dogs. However, a dog can eat a sock, which comes out in his poop a day or two later. The dog may also vomit the sock up.

While that can happen, it’s also possible for the sock to become lodged anywhere in the digestive tract, creating an intestinal blockage.

Even if socks come out safely, they can still cause some upset to the digestive tract.

Symptoms of Sock Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a sock:

If you notice these or other concerning symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Sock Ingestion in Dogs

The treatment your dog receives depends on the vet’s diagnosis. For instance, if your fur baby has vomited the sock or the sock has come out in his poop, it’s possible he may still have some issues with his digestive system. In that case, the vet will treat any symptoms that arise.

If the vet determines your dog has developed an intestinal blockage after eating the sock, it may be necessary to perform surgery. Surgery is the safest way to remove an intestinal blockage.

The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment. Most dogs will go on to make a full recovery.

In the future, it may be a good idea to store clothing where your fur baby can’t get it. We always say prevention is the best medicine!

(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]