My Dog Ate Moldy Food What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 07/23/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Dog Ate Moldy Food

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

It can happen that food in the fridge or food scraps in the waste basket can become moldy. In addition, dog food can become moldy if left for too long. Most people avoid eating moldy food that’s gone bad. But what happens if a dog eats moldy food? Can moldy food make a dog sick?

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Has your dog eaten moldy food? Are you worried the moldy food will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together information about moldy food and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Moldy Food?

When food goes bad, it may develop mold. The mold can be many different colors and can be fuzzy; it may only be in a few spots and more. Mold is a fungus that grows on many things, including spoiled food. Mold grows from spores that grow in spoiled food; the mold then spreads through thread-like structures and can quickly (or slowly) cover the food it’s on.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

The roots of mold may only look as if they’re on top of the spoiled food; however, the truth is the roots can go deeply into the food.

There are thousands of different types of mold found almost everywhere on the planet, even in your home.

The Dangers of Eating Mold

Mold can produce mycotoxins, which are toxic chemicals that can cause illness and death. So, mold can make humans and dogs very sick if they eat it.

Your dog may eat moldy food in the trash can outside, in the fridge, or even his dogfood may develop mold if it’s not changed out every day.

Symptoms of Mold Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms in your dog if he’s eaten moldy food:

Symptoms can last between 24 to 48 hours and can be life-threatening if not treated. So, if your dog is showing any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Mold Toxicity in Dogs

Treatment of mold toxicity in dogs is usually focused on supportive care and management of symptoms. Your dog may require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. Other medications will be given as needed.

The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery.

(Visited 200 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]