My Dog Ate Arnica Gel What Should I Do?
Arnica gel has become more popular in recent years. Many find this alternative treatment helpful. However, what happens if a dog eats arnica gel? Will it make him sick?
Has your dog eaten arnica gel? Are you worried the arnica gel will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about arnica gel and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Arnica Gel?
Arnica is an herb that can be used for cooking; however, it can also be used to treat pain. The compounds in arnica help to reduce swelling, decrease pain, and may also act as an antibiotic.
Many people use arnica to treat osteoarthritis. It can also be used for bleeding, bruising, swelling after surgery, and other types of issues.
Arnica gel is also used in veterinary medicine! Dogs can use arnica gel for the same reasons we use it. Vets may advise using arnica gel to treat osteoarthritis, sprains, and more.
While arnica gel is safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog eats arnica gel? Will arnica gel make a dog sick?
Arnica Gel & Dogs
Arnica gel can be toxic for dogs. It depends on the amount of arnica in the gel and how much the dog eats. Dogs may try to lick the gel off their skin, or they may try to go after a tube of arnica gel.
If your dog happens to lick off or eat a small amount of the gel, chances are he will be OK. However, if he eats a larger amount, he could become sick.
Symptoms of Arnica Gel Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats arnica gel:
- Bleeding (from the nose or blood in the stool)
- Stomach upset
If your dog has eaten a large amount of the gel and you notice these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Be sure to let the vet know the brand and dose of arnica gel the dog has eaten. And tell them about when this happened. It’s also helpful to take the packaging with you to the vet’s office.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. So, be sure to get your fur baby to the vet ASAP. His life may depend on it.