My Dog Ate Bulbs What Should I Do?
Do you have a flower garden in the backyard? Nothing is more beautiful in the spring than a garden blooming with tulip bulbs! But you know how curious dogs are! They will try to eat just about anything, including bulbs! But what happens if a dog eats bulbs?
Has your dog eaten bulbs? Are you worried the bulbs will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about bulbs and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Bulbs?
There are many types of flowers bulbs, but today, we’ll talk about tulip bulbs. Tulips are flowers that bloom once a year and come from bulbs. The flowers are large and showy; they’re some of the most beautiful spring flowers around! Tulips come in a wide range of colors.
These flowers are part of the lily family, and there are about 75 different types of tulips in the world. The plants grow from a bulb rather than a root. The bulbs form in the ground and act as the storage container for developing tulip plants.
What happens if a dog eats tulip bulbs? Will the bulbs make a dog sick?
Tulip Bulbs & Dogs
Unfortunately, tulip bulbs are toxic to dogs. This is because they contain toxins, called glycosides, that cause irritation to the mouth and GI tract.
Another possible danger is that the bulbs could cause an intestinal blockage, which can be deadly if not treated quickly.
Symptoms of Tulip Bulb Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten bulbs:
- Excessive salivation
- Increased heart rate
- Increased respiratory rate
- Difficulty breathing
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. The severity of your dog’s symptoms depends on how many bulbs he’s eaten.
For dogs with an intestinal blockage, the dog may need emergency surgery to remove the bulb material from his system.
Dogs that have been poisoned will need to be decontaminated, either by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical care have the best chance of making a full recovery. So, if your dog has eaten bulbs, call the vet right away. Your dog’s life may depend on it!