My Dog Ate a Wasp What Should I Do?
During the warmer months, many flying insects become more active. These include everything from flies and mosquitoes to wasps and hornets. Have you ever noticed your dog snapping at flying insects? Sometimes a dog will get lucky and grab the flying tormentor, possibly even swallowing the winged offender!
But what happens if a dog swallows a wasp?
Can Dogs Get Sick from Swallowing a Wasp?Check Price on Amazon
We know that wasps are not fun to deal with on a good day! Our fur babies, however, may like to practice their agility by snapping at anything that flies near their face, including a wasp.
If your dog has caught the wasp and swallowed it, chances are he won’t have problem from swallowing the insect. The wasp will pass through the digestive tract like anything else your dog eats. Even though wasps are venomous, their venom isn’t poisonous. Venom can only cause a problem if the wasp has a chance to sting, which is when venom is injected into the skin.
Some dogs are allergic to wasp venom and may exhibit these symptoms after being stung:
- Swelling of face, ears, lips, eyelids, or ear flaps
- Red, inflamed skin
- Itchy ears
- Difficulty breathing
The problem could come if the wasp happens to sting your dog on the way down. Keep in mind that most dogs are not allergic to wasp stings. However, if your dog is allergic, and becomes stung on the lips, in the mouth, the tongue, the back of the mouth or in the throat, this could cause a serious allergic reaction.
Anaphylactic Reaction in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
An anaphylactic reaction is a serious, life-threatening allergic reaction to a substance. Venom from wasps can cause an anaphylactic in some dogs.
Dogs who suffer a sting to the tongue or the throat could be in serious danger. The reason is that an anaphylactic reaction causes swelling. This swelling, to the tongue or throat, can cause the airways to close, leading to your fur baby not being able to breath. The reaction will occur within the first 10 minutes or so after the dog was stung.
If your canine companion is allergic to wasp venom, then it’s a good idea to get on the phone with the vet as soon as possible after your dog’s been stung. The vet may advise you to give your dog Benadryl (diphenhydramine). But only do this if your vet has advised you to do so. The usual does is about 1 milligram per pound of body weight. However, the vet must give you the right dosage information for your dog.
If your dog develops breathing trouble, then this is an emergency which needs to be treated by the vet immediately.
In most cases, dogs will be OK if they happen to swallow a wasp. However, if your dog begins to show any symptoms of an allergic reaction or breathing difficulties, be sure to call the vet immediately. It could save your fur baby’s life.