During the holidays, plants are given as gifts or used as decorations, such as the Amaryllis. When there’s something new in their environment, dogs may be curious about the item. With plants, some dogs are so curious that they may try to eat the plant, including the Amaryllis. But what happens if a dog eats an Amaryllis plant’s leaves?
Has your dog eaten Amaryllis leaves? Are you worried the Amaryllis leaves will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about Amaryllis leaves and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Amaryllis?
The Amaryllis is a popular flowering plant that’s grown from bulbs. The bulbs are forced indoors during the winter months, as the plants are popular during the Christmas holiday season. These beautiful plants have large, showy, trumpet-shaped flowers that are 8-10 inches wide and produced on top of a tall flower stalk. The flowers come in red, pink, orange, salmon, white, and bi-colors.
Many people believe the Amaryllis is a lily; however, these plants are not in the lily family.
While these plants are safe for humans, what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats Amaryllis leaves?
Amaryllis Leaves & Dogs
Unfortunately, all parts of the Amaryllis contain a substance called lycorine. Humans and animals that eat the bulb or other parts of the plant have been known to get sick.
Symptoms of Amaryllis Leaves Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Amaryllis leaves (or other parts of the plant):
- Excessive drooling
- Abdominal discomfort
- Low blood pressure
- Respiratory distress
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, call the vet right away. This may be an emergency.
If possible, take a sample of the plant with you or take a picture of the plant (or the remnants). The vet may need to see the plant to determine if this was an Amaryllis or not.
Treatment of Amaryllis Leaves Toxicity in Dogs
The vet may try to induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to remove the toxins from your dog’s system.
If your dog has had quite a bit of diarrhea and vomiting, the vet may give your fur baby an IV. The IV will contain fluids that work to rehydrate your dog. The fluids also work to flush the toxins out of your dog’s system.
The vet will treat any other symptoms that may arise.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating Amaryllis leaves. However, most dogs will make a full recovery. In the future, it’s best to keep the Amaryllis out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!