My Dog Ate Putty What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 06/22/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Do your kids like to play with Silly Putty? If so, they’re not alone! Silly Putty is one of the most popular toys around! But what happens if your dog eats Silly Putty? Will Silly Putty make your dog sick?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at what Silly Putty is and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

What is Silly Putty?

Silly Putty is a product that’s been around since about 1943 when it was created by accident. It was invented by James Wright, who was an engineer in General Electric’s New Haven lab. He was working on a government project that was supposed to find an inexpensive substitute for synthetic rubber during WWII.

Did you know this fun putty was first marketed to adults? It’s hard to believe! However, a smart unemployed copywriter named Peter Hodgson saw the potential for this putty to become a kid’s toy. From there, the product was marketed to kids, and it’s been a hit ever since!

Silly Putty comes in a plastic egg—the reason is that when the product first came out for kids, it was Easter time. So, they figured why not put the putty into an egg! Today, Silly Putty still comes in a plastic egg.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

The putty can do so many things! It can be made into a bouncing ball, used as a pencil grip to help kids learn how to write, it’s fun to stretch it out and smash it back together, and it can lift comics from the newspaper! It can do so much more, too!

When it comes to ingredients, you’ll be happy to hear that Silly Putty is a non-toxic product. It’s made from:

While Silly Putty is safe and non-toxic for humans, is it safe for dogs? What happens if your dog eats Silly Putty?

Silly Putty & Dogs

We’ve already said Silly Putty is non-toxic, which is great news. However, it can cause serious medical problems if ingested.

If a dog eats the whole piece of Silly Putty, there’s a very high chance the putty will become lodged in the dog’s intestines. When this happens, the putty can cause an intestinal blockage. This a very painful and life-threatening medical condition that requires prompt medical treatment.

If your dog has eaten Silly Putty, then call the vet immediately. Don’t wait to see what symptoms develop. Your dog needs to be checked right now. In fact, if the putty is still in your dog’s stomach, the vet can remove it before it causes an intestinal blockage. Not only that, but quick treatment could save your dog’s life.

(Visited 2,944 times, 5 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]