My Dog Ate Hydroxyzine
Pet parents who have allergies are sometimes prescribed hydroxyzine. But what happens if a dog eats hydroxyzine?
Has your dog eaten hydroxyzine? Are you worried hydroxyzine will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it’s scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at hydroxyzine and whether or not it can make your dog sick! Let’s get started!
What is Hydroxyzine?Check Price on Amazon
Hydroxyzine (also called Atarax or hydroxyzine HCL) is a medication called an antihistamine. It’s often prescribed by doctors to pet parents who have allergies that cause itching. This medication works by blocking histamine, which the body makes during an allergic reaction. Hydroxyzine can also be used to treat anxiety and other health issues.
While hydroxyzine has been approved for use in humans, it’s also sometimes used in veterinary medicine to treat dogs. It works to block histamine and is sometimes prescribed as a sedative. This medication is safe when used according to the veterinarian’s supervision.
This medication can cause sedation, so it’s not often prescribed for service dogs. It’s also not prescribed for dogs who have certain medical conditions such as:
- High blood pressure
- Lung or heart disease
- Enlarge prostate
- Dogs that have urinary or intestinal obstructions
- Pregnant or nursing dogs
However, what happens if a dog eats too much hydroxyzine?
Hydroxyzine & Dogs
The normal prescription dose of hydroxyzine for dogs is 1 mg per pound of body weight. This medication is usually prescribed between two and three times a day.
If your dog eats a larger dose of hydroxyzine, he could become very sick.
Symptoms of Hydroxyzine Overdose in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten too much hydroxyzine:
- Loss of coordination
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst/urination
- Loss of appetite
- Change in behavior
If you notice these symptoms or signs of a severe allergic reaction (some dogs may be allergic to this medication), then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Be sure to note how much of the medication your dog has eaten and tell the vet about any medical conditions your dog has. This information can be very helpful for the vet.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Hydroxyzine Ingestion in Dogs
At the vet’s, they may try to induce vomiting if your dog has recently eaten hydroxyzine. Because there’s no antidote to hydroxyzine, the vet will treat your dog’s symptoms and provide support. Support may include supplemental oxygen, an IV for fluids, and more.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt care after eating hydroxyzine have a higher chance of making a complete recovery.