Can my dog eat Okra?
Okra, also called ladies’ fingers, is a flowering plant and no one’s completely sure where it originally came from. Some believe it originated in Asia, while others say Africa. Wherever it came from, okra is most enjoyed for its pod, which is considered a vegetable. It’s used in a variety of dishes around the world, and can be pickled, added to soups or even used as a side dish on its own. Okra is very nutritious and is a good source of fiber, Vitamins C & K , folate and more.
Can my dog eat okra? Yes. And can my puppy eat okra? Yes. Even though okra appears to be safe for dogs, there are some things to keep in mind. If you choose to give your dog okra, make sure it’s been cooked first, to break down its fibers. Dogs can’t digest the fibrous parts of vegetables, so cooking helps make the food easier for your dog’s digestive system to handle. Also avoid adding butter, spices, onions, garlic, etc. to okra you give to your dog. These are harmful or even toxic for your dog. Also avoid giving your dog fried okra—fried foods are not healthy for you or your pup. It’s also a good idea to only serve your dog small portions of okra (maybe one or two bite-sized pieces) as an occasional treat. What would happen if my dog or puppy ate too much okra? They could possibly develop digestive issues including bloating, excessive gas, diarrhea, etc.
KyokoKyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now