Can my dog eat Nettles?

By Tom •  Updated: 11/05/19 •  2 min read
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Can my dog eat Nettles? Safe for dogs to eat


Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Nettles, also known as stinging nettles, are famous for their tiny “hairs” that cause a prickly pain sensation when touched. While these plants are considered weeds, they’re also an herb with many health benefits. Stinging nettles have been used for medicinal treatments from ancient times and are still used in herbal medicine. The herb has antimicrobial, anti-ulcer and analgesic properties and has been used to treat pain (muscles and joints), eczema and even allergies. Along with their healing properties, nettles are also packed with nutrients, including Vitamins A, B, C & K, calcium, phosphorus and more.

Can my dog eat nettles? Yes, in fact, nettles are sometimes used to treat certain medical conditions in dogs. It’s sometimes used as an antihistamine to treat allergies. Nettles have also been used to treat anemia, or even made into a tea used to treat skin irritations from bug bites, etc. Can my puppy eat nettles? Yes, but only as recommended by your vet. Nettles are safe for your dog, but it’s best to use the dried version (unless directed otherwise by your veterinarian). This can be found in powdered, capsule, and extract forms. What would happen if my dog ate too much nettle? He would probably be OK, but could develop stomach problems and diarrhea. He could also suffer from nettle poisoning. A word of caution about nettle poisoning. Nettle grows wild in many areas and if your dog becomes covered with the plant’s prickly hairs, he could be injected with too much acetylcholine, a substance contained in the plant. This can result in nettle poisoning, which can even lead to death. Your pup may experience neurological problems including tremors and breathing difficulties. If this happens, be sure to get your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

(Visited 939 times, 1 visits today)


Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading