Choosing The Right Crate For Your Dog
Choosing the right crate for your dog all boils down to the shape and size of the dog. With the numerous amount of crates out there for dogs, you’re probably wondering how to get the ideal crate for dog to sleep in easily and feel relaxed. Dogs are den animals and need their own private place to relax, a place that makes them feel safe, that’s the whole idea of a crate. They serve as an advanced form of a den that were used by wild dogs to shelter themselves from predators. It can be a daunting task trying to decide which will fit him comfortably, should you opt for a metal or a soft crate for dog? What type of crate is perfect for travels? All these and more will be answered in this article to solely help guide you through the whole process.
What Size Should You Select For Your Dog Crate?
Before buying a crate for dog to sleep in, the first thing you should consider is how to measure crate for dog and get the accurate size for him. As a pet owner, you’re already thinking of getting your dog a very large crate with extra room space for comfortability. Yea, yea you love your dog and want the best for him. I get it, but have you taken the time to consider what will happen to the extra space if your dog has too much room to spare? Here’s what happens, he uses one part as his bedroom and then the other part as his bathroom. Surprised? I bet you are. Now this doesn’t mean I’m asking you to buy a crate meant for puppies for your older dog for him to squeeze himself in all day. It simply means you should carefully measure your dog and get him a crate with adequate space he can sit upright in, turn around easily, and lay down comfortably with his paws stretched out without feeling confined.
Selecting a crate for a puppy might require you to plan ahead and think of the future
Buying a crate that fits his current size will only mean you have to keep getting new crates as he grows older. You don’t need me to remind you how expensive this can get. Instead, consider buying him a larger one that would fit a much older dog and then get a partition to divide and resize it as your puppy gets older.
To measure crate for dog you’ll have to measure his height and length. To get the accurate height measurement you’ll want to look for a way to get your dog seated upright for this (a treat perhaps). When he’s properly seated, you should measure him from the floor to the highest point of his nose. Alternatively, you can measure from the floor to the tip of his ears, only if his ears are erect. Add 5cm or 2 inches (for smaller dogs) and 10cm or 4 inches (for big dogs) to get the minimum height for your crate. To measure the length, get your dog to stand upright on his four paws and then measure from the tip of his nose to the base of his tail, then add 5cm or 2 inches (for smaller dogs) and 10cm or 4 inches (for big dogs) to provide enough space for him to move around comfortably.
What Types of Dog Crate Can You Buy?
You finally decided on the size for your dog’s crate, what next? The next thing on the list will be selecting the perfect crate for dog to sleep in comfortably. There are different types of crates for dogs, some are metal while others are plastic. Some are even suitable for traveling, but with each crate comes its own pros and cons. We are going to talk about the 5 main types available.
Plastic Dog Crates
Plastic dog crates are portable and very lightweight to carry. They are your best bet for easy air transportation. Lots of pet owners love to fly with their dog, and this can serve as the perfect option for that purpose. Quite a number of this type of crates are airline-approved. They allow for proper ventilation to help your pooch relax, and most of them also come with clip-on bowls so you can easily serve your dog food and clean water. Majority of plastic crates are known to serve as pet carriers or transport crates. However, they pass for permanent home use crates as well.
Advantages of Plastic Crates
- Provides more shelter for your dog, especially if you live in places with cold weather
- Lots of them are approved for airline travel which makes it easy to fly with your pet
- They come in different colors
- Portable and lightweight for easy travel
- Less visibility and more security for distracted dogs
- The top half of the crate can be detached, and the bottom half used as a bed for your dog
- Difficult for your hyperactive dog to break out
- Some plastic crate models come with food and water bowl that you can easily attach and detach
Disadvantages of Plastic Crates
- Occupies more space since it’s not foldable
- Due to insufficient ventilation, it might become overheated which will make it impossible for your dog to remain comfortable
- The enclosed design makes it hard for your canine friend to have a clear view of his environment and as a result may become frustrated
- Difficult to clean
- Plastic crates are not very attractive to have in your house
Stylish Dog Crates
Looking for something stylish for your dog? This crate is your best bet. With numerous styles to choose from, you’re definitely going to find one to meet your need. Made from wood or ratton especially for those who like the idea of a multi-function crate. Having this crate means having a safe place for your canine friend to relax, and a well-designed dog crate furniture for your home décor.
Quality doesn’t always come cheap, so you should be willing to spend a little bit more for your fully grown dog
Advantages of Stylish Dog Crates
- Doesn’t require extra space as they can easily serve as the perfect dog crate furniture and replace your side table in your house
- Perfect to give your home an elegant look
- Comes in varieties of style to suit your taste
Disadvantages of Stylish Dog Crates
- Not a good fit for dogs with destructive traits as they can easily chew and damage them
- Compared to other crates, this is an expensive item
- The wooden floor makes it difficult to clean if accidents happen and stains are left on the floor
- Not suitable for house training your dog
Wire crates are the most popularly used dog crates by pet owners. You’ll find one in almost every dog owners home. You no longer have to fret about your dog gaining sufficient ventilation as this type of crate comes with a one-door and multiple door options to allow for even better air circulation. It makes your furry companion aware of his environment, while also presenting itself as an ideal option to suit both puppy and full-grown dog. This will help you cut cost. Dog owners should consider going for lighter crates for travel purposes as wire crates are quite heavy to carry.
Advantages of Wire Crates
- With sufficient air access, this is a perfect fit for your dog if you live in a hot weather environment
- Easy to clean
- Several wire crate models are foldable
- With some models, you can get a removable divider to help partition the crate as your puppy grows older
- Most wire crate models come with a removable floor tray for easy cleaning
- Gives your dog access to view his surroundings clearly
Disadvantages of Wire Crates
- Due to much exposure, it offers minimum shelter in cold weather environments
- Makes so much noise when your dog moves around
- They are heavy and difficult to carry despite being foldable
- They are not the most attractive piece of item to have in your home
- Dogs that are smart will find it easy to look for a way out of wire crates
- Too much visible access to activities going on around can cause stress for some dogs.
Soft-Sided Dog Crates
Soft-sided crates present a more comfortable design that doesn’t make it look like you’re caging your dog. Excellent option for travel purposes as they are light and can be folded flat for portability. This soft crate for dog is the best choice for trips like camping, beach outing, or a picnic. However, this type of crate won’t make a good fit for dogs that cause damage easily.
Advantages of Soft-Sided Dog Crates
- Can be folded for easy storage when not in use
- Lightweight and portable
- Ideal for occasional trips as it is easy to set up
- The soft material makes the dog feel more comfortable
Disadvantages of Soft-Sided Dog Crates
- Dogs can easily unzip the door
- Dogs with destructive traits can chew the soft material and escape
- Not durable
Metal Heavy Duty Dog Crates
The metal heavy duty dog crate doesn’t come cheap or attractive. But it’s certainly an option to consider if you have a destructive dog for a pet or a dog who finds it easy escaping from time to time. This means you don’t have to keep buying crates after crates as they are difficult to chew and breakout from. For those who love their pet tagging along for travels, most metal heavy duty models are airline approved.
Advantages of Metal Heavy Duty Dog Crates
- Some models are airline approved to help transport your dog as he travels with you
- Very durable
- Perfect match for destructive dogs
Disadvantages of Metal Heavy Duty Dog Crates
- Less attractive
- They are expensive
We have successfully broken down everything you need to know about choosing the right crate for your dog from the sizes to the different types of crates. Despite the fact that wire crates are the most practical and widely used, the best crate for your dog solely depends on your canine friend and your use for it. You can decide to get a soft crate for dog for a picnic trip or a metal heavy duty crate for dogs who like to escape. Let us know which the best option for you is.