My Puppy Ate a Stick What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 05/26/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Has your puppy eaten a stick? Are you worried the stick will make your puppy sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your puppy eats something he shouldn’t.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

To help you and your puppy, we’ve put together some information about sticks and whether or not they can make your puppy sick. Let’s get started!

Why Do Puppies Eat Sticks?

Puppies explore their new world in many ways. They use their senses, including smell, to learn new things. Puppies also use their mouths to explore their environment.

When a puppy finds a stick, he may think it’s a great thing to chew on. This is especially the case if the puppy is teething. They will chew on anything and everything in order to relieve teething pain and discomfort. Chewing also helps the new teeth break through the gums.

So, when the puppy’s chewing on a stick, it’s possible he may accidentally swallow parts of the stick. The parts may be large or small. What’s more, the chewed pieces of stick are probably sharp.

Sticks & Puppies

The danger is that the sharp pieces of the stick could injury the puppy’s mouth or teeth. The sharp stick pieces may also puncture the pup’s throat or any part of the digestive tract. What’s more, the pieces could even become lodged in the puppy’s digestive tract and lead to an intestinal blockage. This is a very serious condition that can lead to death if untreated.

Finally, the stick pieces could even block the puppy’s airways and cause him to choke.

Symptoms After Stick Ingestion in Puppies

You may notice these symptoms if your puppy has eaten a stick:

If your puppy shows any of the symptoms above, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.

Treatment for Ingestion of Sticks in Puppies

Treatment will depend on the puppy’s symptoms and the vet’s diagnosis. For instance, if the stick pieces are still in the puppy’s stomach, then the vet may induce vomiting.

If the stick pieces have caused an intestinal blockage, then the vet will do emergency surgery. This will remove the blockage safely from the puppy’s intestines.

The good news is that in most cases, your puppy should make a complete recovery if he receives prompt medical care after eating a stick. He’ll be back to his playful self again in no time!

(Visited 212 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading