My Kitten Ate Chocolate What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 06/06/21 •  4 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Has your kitten eaten chocolate? Are you worried the chocolate could make your kitten sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand. It’s scary when our fur babies eat things they shouldn’t.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

We’ve put together some information to help you. In this article, we’ll take a look at chocolate and whether or not it can make your kitten sick. Let’s get started!

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

What is Chocolate?

Chocolate is that yummy brown stuff that candy bars are often made with. You know it—chocolate may be the covering or the only ingredient in a candy bar! Most people love chocolate. For us, chocolate can even provide certain health benefits. That is unless we eat too much of it!

Chocolate is made from roasted and ground cacao seeds, which form a rich liquid. It may also be formed into a paste or a block, depending on how the chocolate will be used.

Did you know that chocolate has been used by humans for thousands of years? The first evidence of the use of chocolate was found at Olmec sites in Mexico. Dating showed that chocolate was in use there back in the 19th century BC. The use of chocolate has also been found in other indigenous peoples in Central and South American, including the Maya and Aztec peoples.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

That’s all really interesting, but what about chocolate and kittens? Can chocolate make a kitten sick?

Chocolate & Kittens

Chocolate is very toxic to kittens due to the substances found in the chocolate. These substances include caffeine and theobromine, and more. These substances can hurt kittens and cats (as well as dogs). While this is true, different types of chocolate are more toxic than others.

For instance, darker chocolate contains higher amounts of these substances that are toxic to kittens. Milk chocolate contains lower amounts of these toxins, and finally, white chocolate doesn’t contain much of these toxins at all.

So, the types of chocolate your kitten has eaten will determine how toxic it is for her. Remember, the darker the chocolate, the more toxins it contains.

In addition, the amount of chocolate can determine how sick she could become. Keep in mind that kittens are pretty small, so they don’t have to eat as much of something to get sick.

Symptoms of Chocolate Ingestion in Kittens

You may notice these symptoms if your kitten has eaten chocolate:

If your kitten has eaten chocolate and is showing any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. Your kitten needs to be treated as soon as possible, as chocolate ingestion can lead to death if left untreated.

Treatment of Chocolate Ingestion in Kittens

Treatment for your kitten will depend on the type and amount of chocolate she’s eaten. The vet may use decontamination methods, which work to get the chocolate out of your kitten’s system. These may include inducing vomiting, using activated charcoal, or other methods.

The vet will also provide supportive care and treat symptoms as they arise. It’s probable your fur baby will need an IV to help her rehydrate and to administer medications. She may also need to stay hospitalized for a day or so until she’s stabilized.

If your kitten receives prompt medical care, then she has a much better chance of making a full recovery.

(Visited 122 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]