My Dog Licked Emulsion Paint What Should I Do?
Emulsion paint is used for a home’s exterior and interior. They’re popular paints, which means more dogs have access to these products. Accidents and curiosity may lead a dog to walk in and/or lick the paint. But what happens if a dog licks emulsion paint?
Has your dog licked emulsion paint? Are you worried the emulsion paint will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at emulsion paint and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Emulsion Paint?Check Price on Amazon
Emulsion paint is water-based paint that contains polymer particles that hold the pigment (color). The particles are suspended in water. When the paint dries, the particles come together and create a coat of paint on a surface, such as a wall. As noted earlier, emulsion paint can be used either outside or inside.
This type of paint contains:
- Pigments: iron oxide (yellows, browns, reds), titanium oxide (for white), carbon (for black), and chromium oxide (greens).
- Solvent: in emulsion paint, the solvent is water
- Binders: these are acrylic or epoxy polymers that surround the pigment particles and help the paint adhere to walls.
- Additives: may include biocides, which control the growth of fungi and algae on walls.
Many people prefer emulsion paints because they’re easier to wash and keep clean. The paint also comes in a range of finishes (such as glossy, semi-glossy, and more). And this type of paint doesn’t have as much odor as other paints.
Emulsion paints are also available in different variations, such as latex, acrylic, tempera, and poster paint.
Emulsion paints are considered safe to use; however, what happens if a dog licks the paint?
Emulsion Paint & Dogs
The good news is that in small amounts, emulsion paint is not toxic to dogs. However, it can cause gastrointestinal upset and skin irritation.
What’s more, some emulsion paints contain ethylene glycol (antifreeze), which can be toxic in large amounts.Check Price on Amazon
What to Do if Your Dog Licks Emulsion Paint
First, you’ll want to check the paint’s ingredients. Look to see if it contains ethylene glycol, for instance. If it does, then call the vet right away.
If your dog has licked a small amount of emulsion paint, then monitor him for any gastrointestinal symptoms or any other symptoms that are concerning. For instance, if your dog does develop diarrhea and vomiting that last longer than 24 hours, then it’s a good idea to call the vet.
In most cases, your dog should be just fine if he’s only licked a small amount of emulsion paint!