My Dog Licked a Lime What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love the fresh taste of limes? They provide a zesty, sour, tangy flavor that many people love! However, what happens if a dog licks a lime?
Has your dog licked a lime? Are you worried the lime could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it’s scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at limes and whether or not they can make dogs sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Lime?
Limes are small, green citrus fruits that are shaped like a lemon. These fruits are very popular in many types of cuisines around the world. They’re sometimes used as a garnish or used in recipes. Limes are also sometimes used in different types of beverages.Check Price on Amazon
While humans can safely enjoy limes, what about dogs? Can limes make a dog sick?
Limes & Dogs
Limes are toxic to dogs, as are other citrus fruits. Limes contain substances that can make a dog very sick, including:
All parts of the lime are toxic to dogs, including the tree & branches, the fruit, juice, peel of the fruit, leaves, etc.
Symptoms of Lime Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has had some lime juice:
- Excessive drooling
- Loss of coordination
- Low blood pressure
If your dog has only licked the lime, then he should be OK. However, there’s a chance he could develop digestive tract problems such as diarrhea and vomiting.
If your dog has had more than a lick of a lime, then it’s best to call the vet for advice.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Lime Poisoning in Dogs
At the vet’s, they may choose to induce vomiting in your dog. The vet may also use activated charcoal or gastric lavage to remove the toxin from your dog’s system.
There’s no antidote for this type of poisoning, so the vet may use IV fluids and other medications to treat symptoms as they appear.
The good news is that most dogs who receive prompt treatment for lime poisoning will make a full recovery.
And remember, if your dog has had only one lick of the lime, then he will probably be OK. Just monitor him for any symptoms listed above.