Many of us have common household cleaners around the house. These can include all types of chemicals and products with many harsh ingredients. Some of these can be toxic to dogs if ingested. But what happens if a dog licks Comet?
Has your dog licked some Comet? Are you worried the Comet may make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Comet and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Comet?
Comet is a type of scouring powder, which is used to clean, disinfect, and deodorize porcelain, stainless steel, fiberglass, and other surfaces. The product is advertised to be safe for many types of surfaces, as it cleans without scratching. What’s more, the surfactants contained in the product are biodegradable, and Comet contains no phosphate.
Comet scouring powder comes in different scents and usually includes bleach. The cleaner also includes:
- Calcium carbonate
- Sodium carbonate
- Alkylbenzene sulfonic acid
- Trichloroisocyanuric acid
- Pigment Green 7
While Comet is considered a safe household cleaner, what happens if your dog licks some Comet?
Comet & Dogs
Because Comet contains bleach, it can be irritant if ingested. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea if your dog has eaten a large amount of this cleanser. The cleanser, in large amounts, can cause irritation of the stomach and mucus membranes of the digestive tract (from the dog’s mouth and throat to the intestines). However, it does not cause toxicity.
When dogs eat a large amount of Comet, they may not show any symptoms for 2-4 hours afterward.
If your dog has only licked a very small amount of Comet, then he may start drooling. This will probably be the only symptom your dog will have. But do try to check your dog’s mouth for any signs of burns and irritation (if he will allow you). If you notice burns or anything that seems out of the ordinary, then do call the vet.
It’s a good idea to encourage your dog to drink plenty of water, which helps rinse his mouth and dilute any Comet that may have been swallowed.
If your dog develops any concerning symptoms after licking Comet cleanser, then it’s best to call the vet right away. They will have the best advice and guidance on what needs to be done for your dog.
TomTom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now