My Dog Drank Nasty Water What Should I Do?
Sometimes when you’re out on a walk, you may see your dog take a drink of water from a puddle or other source. The water may look pretty dirty and nasty. Yuck!
Why do dogs drink nasty water? They are usually thirsty and so look for any water that may be nearby! And they’re not known for being very discerning when it comes to what they eat or drink, including drinking nasty water!
But can nasty water make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk nasty water? Are you worried the nasty water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at nasty water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Nasty Water?
Nasty water comes from a wide variety of sources. For instance, dirty water may be found in a puddle in the street. However, nasty water can also be found in ponds, lakes, and even in a dirty water bowl at home.
Dirty water may contain any number of bacteria, viruses, and other organisms that can make a dog sick. These may include:
- Blue-green algae
- And many others
Each of these can cause some bad infections in dogs and other animals that drink dirty water.
So, can nasty water make a dog sick? The short answer is yes!
Symptoms of Nasty Water Ingestion in Dogs
Your dog may show these symptoms after drinking nasty water:
- Esophageal dysfunction (trouble swallowing)
- And more
If you notice these and/or other concerning symptoms in your dog, then it’s time to call the vet. This may be an emergency.
Be sure to tell the vet where the water was located and about when your dog drank the water. Try to remember how much water your dog drank, too. This is all information that can help the vet determine the best way to treat your dog.
Treatment will depend on the vet’s diagnosis and your dog’s symptoms. It’s possible your dog will need an IV with fluids to treat dehydration. The IV can also be used to quickly and easily dose your fur baby with other medications. For bacterial infections, the vet will treat your dog with antibiotics.
In some cases, if your canine companion is severely ill, then it may be necessary for him to be hospitalized for a few days until he’s more stable.
Most dogs who receive prompt treatment will make a full recovery. And remember, never let your dog drink nasty water. Always carry plenty of water for you and your dog to enjoy when hiking or walking!