My Dog Drank Petrol What Should I Do?
Do you have petrol around the house? If so, you’re like many other households around the country! Petrol is used to power everything from vehicles to lawn care tools! However, what happens if your dog drinks petrol? Can petrol make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk petrol? Are you worried the petrol will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
We’ve put together some information about petrol and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Petrol?
Petrol is another name for a petroleum product called gasoline. Petrol, like gas, is a derivative product distilled from crude oil (also called petroleum). The liquid is clear and contains different additives to make it user-friendly for combustion engines. Petrol is used to power vehicles, lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and much more!
But what happens if a dog drinks petrol? Will he get sick?
Petrol & Dogs
Unfortunately, petrol (and other petroleum products) is very toxic to dogs. Not only is the liquid toxic if ingested, but it can also poison a dog by being absorbed through the skin. If inhaled, petrol can also cause significant irritation to the airways.
A dog who drinks petrol may experience a burning mouth, throat, and esophagus. Next, the stomach lining becomes inflamed and irritated. Then the rest of the GI tract is burned and inflamed.
Symptoms of Petrol Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk petrol:
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid breathing
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Excessive drooling
- Shaking of the head
- Pawing at the mouth/muzzle
- Discoloration of the skin
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the abdomen
- Loss of motion
- Irregular or rapid heartbeat
- Smell of petrol around your dog’s face, fur, paws, etc.
If you notice any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. When you talk with the vet, explain that your dog has drunk petrol and share any symptoms the dog’s having. Then let the vet know about how long ago this happened. This information helps the vet decide how best to help your canine companion.
Petrol can be a deadly poison when ingested by a dog. However, your fur baby has a better chance of surviving if he gets medical attention as soon as possible. This is key to your dog’s survival!