My Dog Drank Mop Water with Bleach What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 11/21/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Dog Drank Mop Water

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many people use bleach in their mop water. This is a great way to keep things clean and disinfected. But what happens if a dog drinks mop water with bleach?

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Has your dog drunk mop water with bleach? Are you worried the mop water with bleach will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.

In this article, we’ve put together some information about mop water with bleach and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Mop Water with Bleach?

Mop water with bleach is usually a bucket of water, to which someone has added some bleach. Bleach is a product that’s used to help clean and disinfect both hard and soft surfaces. It’s used to sterilize and disinfect a wide range of things.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

For instance, bleach may be added to the laundry to disinfect towels. It may also be used to clean the bathroom after someone is sick. Bleach is also commonly used to clean and disinfect floors by adding it to mop water.

The most commonly used type of bleach in homes is chlorine bleach. Chlorine is a powerful disinfectant, which can be extremely dangerous to inhale or ingest.

But what about dogs? Can mop water with bleach make a dog sick?

Mop Water with Bleach & Dogs

Unfortunately, chlorine bleach in mop water can be toxic to dogs. The severity of the poisoning depends on how much bleach is in the mop water and how much of the water the dog has drunk.

Symptoms of Bleach Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk mop water with bleach:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Bleach toxicity, if left untreated, will lead to death

Be sure to let the vet know how much of the mop water with bleach your dog has drunk and about when this occurred.

The good news is that in most cases if the dog receives prompt treatment, he will make a full recovery. Remember, prevention is always the best medicine! Keep your dog away from mop water that contains any cleaning chemicals, including bleach!

(Visited 477 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]