My Dog Drank Lake Water What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love going out and taking a long walk with your dog in nature? The companionship between you two is deep, and you have so much fun together! As you walk, the two of you may come to a lake, where you take a short rest. As most dogs do, your canine companion decides to walk to the water’s edge and take a drink. This is a common thing most dogs do. However, can lake water make a dog sick?
Has your dog drunk lake water? Are you worried the lake water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about lake water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Lake Water?Check Price on Amazon
Lake water is simply water that’s found in a lake! But there’s more to lake water than just the H2O it’s made of. Lake water is home to many types of organisms, including fish, waterfowl, frogs, turtles, and so much more! But what does the “so much more” include?
Lake water is also home to microscopic organisms. The things that can live in lake water include bacteria, algae, parasites, and more.
What happens if a dog drinks lake water? Can the lake water make a dog sick?
Lake Water & Dogs
If your fur baby takes a sip of lake water, chances are he will be OK. However, if he drinks a lot more than that, there is a possibility he could imbibe microorganisms that could make him sick.
Some of the nasties found in lake water include:
- Bacteria & Parasites (cryptosporidium, giardia, leptospirosis, tapeworms, flukes, and more)
- Blue-green algae
Any of these organisms may cause a dog to become very sick.
Symptoms of Lake Water Illness in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog drinks a lot of lake water:
- Algae in vomit or stool
- Excessive salivation
- Difficulty breathing
- Stomach pains/cramps
- Muscle aches
- And more
If your dog shows any of these or other concerning symptoms, then call the vet. This could be an emergency.
Treatment for illnesses caused by lake water depends on the vet’s diagnosis. They will run several tests to determine the cause of the problem and then treat your dog according to the diagnosis. In some cases, your fur baby may need to stay in the hospital for a few days. It depends on the severity of his symptoms.
Recovery depends on what caused the illness and how soon your dog receives medical treatment. In most cases, dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have a good chance of making a complete recovery.