My Dog Drank Kool Aid Will He Get Sick?
Remember those hot summer days when you were a kid? Did your mom serve up some great Kool-Aid? Nothing was more refreshing!
Kool-Aid remains a very popular drink today, too! Have you ever thought about giving Kool-Aid to your dog to drink? Is Kool-Aid safe for dogs?
What is Kool-Aid?
Kool-Aid is a flavored drink mix that is owned by Kraft Heinz. It was first created back in 1927 by Edwin Perkins. At that time, the drink was called Fruit Smack, and was based on a liquid concentrate.
Today, Kool-Aid is usually found in powdered form, in packets or even in small tubs. All you have to do is mix the contains of a packet of powder with sugar and water. That’s it! You can serve it with ice, refrigerated, etc.
And there are sugar-free forms of Kool-Aid, which use artificial sweeteners to make the drink taste sweet.
Because the Kool-Aid powder stains well, it’s sometimes used as a hair dye for kids (or adults) and even on pets!
Kool-Aid comes in a wide variety of flavors including black cherry, tropical punch, lemonade, pink lemonade, cherry, watermelon, orange, and summer punch.
Is Kool-Aid OK for Dogs?
Not really. The main reason is the sugar. Dogs and sugar really don’t go together well. The good news is that one sip of Kool-Aid won’t poison your dog, but if your fur baby has this drink on a regular basis it could make him sick.
Another issue is the unsweetened Kool-Aid contains Splenda (also called sucralose). Too much of this artificial sweetener isn’t toxic, but it can lead to gastrointestinal issues if ingested on a regular basis.
Dogs & Sugar: A Bad Combination
Sugar is not safe for dogs in any form. If dogs eat a lot of sugar on a regular basis, they can develop health issues such as tooth decay, weight gain that can lead to obesity, metabolic issues, and diabetes.
Not only that, but the weight gained from eating sugar can also lead to other health issues such as arthritis, oral infections, heart problems, and more.
If your dog it eating too much sugar, you may notice these symptoms:
- Times of hyperactivity, followed by lethargy
- Bloodshot eyes
- Kidney infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Weight gain
For these reasons, it’s best not to give your dog Kool-Aid. It’s not toxic, but the sugar or sugar-free drinks are simply not good for your dog.