My Dog Drank Jack Daniels What Should I Do?
Do you like to have a glass of Jack Daniels once in a while? Jack Daniels is popular, with some people drinking it alone or mixed with other ingredients. But what happens if a dog drinks Jack Daniels?
Has your dog drunk Jack Daniels? Are you worried the Jack Daniels will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about Jack Daniels and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Jack Daniels?
Jack Daniels is an extremely popular Tennessee whiskey. Not only is it popular in the US, but this drink is also enjoyed all around the world! The product is made in Lynchburg, Tennessee, by the Jack Daniel Distillery. Up to 12.5 million nine-liter cases of Jack Daniels were sold in 2017!
This alcoholic drink is packaged in a recognizable square bottle, which is part of the company’s branding. The drink contains about 45% alcohol by volume, which equates to 90 proof. However, some types of Jack Daniels may contain higher levels of alcohol.
The beverage is made from corn, rye, and malted barley, which is distilled in copper stills. After some additional processing, the liquid is then put into wooden barrels, which allows the product to age. One interesting note, Jack Daniels barrels are sold to a company in Scotland to make Scotch whisky! Who knew?
While pet parents may safely enjoy Jack Daniels in moderation, is this drink poisonous to dogs? Can Jack Daniels make a dog sick?
Jack Daniels & Dogs
If your dog has a lick or two of Jack Daniels, chances are he will be just fine. However, if your dog drinks more than this, he could develop alcohol poisoning.
Alcohol poisoning is a very dangerous condition in dogs, which can lead to death if left untreated.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk Jack Daniels:
- He seems drunk
- Loss of bodily control
- Excessive salivation
- Excitement that changes to depression
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Heart problems
If your dog has drunk Jack Daniels or if you suspect he has, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Be sure to let the vet know what your dog drank and about how much of the whiskey the dog had. This information can be helpful for the vet.
Keep in mind that the dog may not show symptoms for 30 to 60 minutes after drinking the whiskey. However, if your dog has for sure drunk Jack Daniels, he will need to see the vet ASAP. Alcohol poisoning can lead to death if not treated.
As always, prevention is always the best medicine! So, be sure to keep Jack Daniels and all alcohol out of your dog’s reach!