My Dog Drank Green Water What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 11/09/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Taking your dog for a swim at the lake or a pond can be so much fun! Many dogs love water and enjoy a refreshing swim on a hot day! But during certain times of the summer, you may notice that lakes and ponds may develop a greenish scum on top. Can this green water make a dog sick?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog drunk some green water? Are you worried the green water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

In this article, we’ve put together some information about green water and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Green Water?

Water that is green or a bluish-green color can be toxic to dogs. This is because there are certain types of algae and bacteria that can overgrow and produce toxins that are poisonous to dogs, humans, and other animals. If the overgrowth is large, it’s possible the algae/bacteria may even pollute the water.

Not all green or blue-green algae produce toxins; however, it’s very difficult to tell between these algae. So, it’s best to consider the green or blue-green water to be toxic.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Green water of this type is most common in the hot, sunny part of the year. This can be from mid-July through the first part of September. You’ll usually find green algae in water that’s not moving, such as in lakes and ponds.

What happens if a dog drinks green water?

Green Water & Dogs

As noted earlier, green or blue-green water may contain algae that produce toxins. These toxins can be poisonous to dogs.

Symptoms of Green Water Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk green water:

If you know for sure, or suspect, that your dog has drunk green water, then call the vet immediately.  This is a medical emergency.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive fast medical care after drinking green water. So, be sure to call the vet right away. Your dog’s life may depend on it!

Prevention is Always Best

Prevention is always the best way to keep your dog safe. Avoid letting your dog swim in or near water that has turned green. Remember to keep your fur baby from drinking green water, too!

(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]