Do you keep your floors good and clean? Some people can’t stand a dirty floor and are constantly cleaning them. You may know a relative or a friend who says, “I keep my floors so clean you could eat off them!” However, can the products used to clean the floor make a dog sick? What happens if a dog drinks floor cleaner?
Has your dog drunk floor cleaner? Are you worried the floor cleaner will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about floor cleaners and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Floor Cleaner?
Floor cleaner is a type of product used expressly to clean floors. These products are commonly found in most households.
The ingredients in some floor cleaners can pose a danger to pets, including:
Ammonium hydroxide: this is a very common ingredient found in floor cleaners because it’s an effective cleaner. However, this is a very toxic substance if ingested.
Fragrance: is another common ingredient in floor cleaners. This is used to make surfaces and rooms smell better and fresher.
Chlorine: is another chemical often used in floor cleaners. This is a very corrosive chemical.
These are the most common ingredients found in floor cleaners. Of course, there are also other ingredients used in these products. But are these toxic to dogs?
Floor Cleaners & Dogs
Unfortunately, floor cleaners that use the chemicals listed above, and some others, are extremely toxic to dogs if ingested.
Symptoms of Floor Cleaner Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk floor cleaner:
- Difficulty breathing
- Abdominal pain
- Trouble swallowing
- Blue mucus membranes (indicates lack of oxygen)
- Red skin in and near the mouth
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately—this is an emergency.
When you call the vet, be sure to let them know the name of the floor cleaner, the ingredients in the cleaner, and how much of the product your dog has drunk. They will then let you know what to do next to help your fur baby.
Your dog will probably come out OK; however, dogs who receive prompt medical treatment for floor cleaner toxicity have the best chance of making a full recovery. So, do call the vet right away! Your dog’s life depends on it!