My Dog Drank NyQuil What Should I Do?
NyQuil is a common remedy found in many homes, which is used to relieve cold and flu symptoms. Because this is a product that’s so common, this means dogs may have access to the medication. But what happens if a dog drinks Nyquil?
Has your dog drunk Nyquil? Are you worried the Nyquil will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about NyQuil and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is NyQuil?Check Price on Amazon
NyQuil is a combination medication that’s used to treat the symptoms caused by colds and flu. It’s also sometimes used to treat allergies, sinusitis, or even bronchitis. NyQuil is an OTC medication, which means it’s easy to find in just about any store, including the grocery store (in the medicine section), the drug store, and more.
NyQuil contains the following ingredients:
- Acetaminophen (the same ingredient found in Tylenol) is a pain reliever and fever reducer
- Antihistamines that work to dry up a runny nose, itchy eyes, and sneezing
- Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a cough remedy, which works to reduce coughing
When used correctly, this medication is safe for most people. However, what happens if a dog drinks NyQuil?
NyQuil & Dogs
Unfortunately, NyQuil can be toxic to dogs due to its ingredients. Acetaminophen is especially dangerous for dogs and is toxic to their livers. In addition, the other ingredients can also be harmful to dogs.
If your dog has one lick of NyQuil, chances are he will be OK. However, more of this medication can lead to toxicity in dogs (and other pets).
Symptoms of Acetaminophen Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Your dog may show these symptoms if he’s drunk NyQuil:
- Blue gums
- Rapid/difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face paws
- Dry eyes
- Dark urine with blood
- Dark, muddy mucous membranes
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
And remember, never give your canine companion (or other fur babies) medication that’s meant for humans. Only do so if the vet tells you to give your dog a specific drug.
The best way to keep your dog from accessing NyQuil and other medications is to keep these products out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine, especially in this case.