My Dog Ate Yarn What Should I Do?
Do you enjoy working with yarn? Crocheting and knitting, and other yarn crafts are extremely popular! Working with yarn can be a relaxing, creative experience.
Can yarn be dangerous for dogs if swallowed?
What is Yarn?
Yarn is like a very thick type of string, which is made from fibers that are woven together to make one, long string. It’s used to create a wide variety of items such as blankets, sweaters, hats, and more.
Yarn can be made from a wide variety of fibers, natural or synthetic. One of the most common fibers used in yarn is cotton. However, it can also be made from bamboo, polyester fibers, and more. Other natural fibers include animal hair such as wool, silk, and more.
Some people like to wind yarn into balls, which is fun. However, it may also become more appealing to dogs. They just see a ball and think it’s a toy they can play with.Check Price on Amazon
What Happens if a Dog Swallows Yarn?
When a dog swallows something like yarn, which is similar to string, it can result in a very dangerous situation. The string can easily become balled up in the dog’s digestive tract and lead to a very painful, life-threatening condition called an intestinal blockage.
Another issue is that yarn can become a choking hazard, cutting of the air the dog needs to breathe.
Symptoms of an Intestinal Blockage in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed yarn:
- Painful/swollen abdomen
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment for an Intestinal Blockage in Dogs
Note: if you notice yarn protruding from your dog’s anus, do not try to pull the yarn out. You may cause further damage to the dog’s intestines.
When you reach the vet’s office, they will perform a medical exam on your dog. Then they will run lab work and images (such as x-rays). The vet will try to determine where the blockage may be located.
If the yarn is still in your dog’s stomach, the vet may try to remove it through an endoscopic procedure. However, if the yarn has balled up inside the intestines, then the vet may need to perform surgery to safely remove the blockage and repair any damage it may have caused.
While yarn seems like a safe enough object for dogs (or cats), it’s best to avoid leaving it where your dog may get a hold of it. Yarn can be very dangerous for your dog.