My Dog Ate A String What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 11/30/22 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate A String What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Some popular dog toys are called “ropes” and are made of many thin strings wrapped together. These form the rope. However, dog toys can include strings, too. What’s more, dogs may find strings in other places, too. This can include the yarn you may use to knit, crochet, or even the thread used for sewing! And dogs are curious; some may eat the string out of curiosity or even swallow it by accident when playing. But what happens if a dog eats a string?

Has your dog eaten a string? Are you worried the string will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about string and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is String?

A string can be something such as thread, something used to tie or bind objects, and more. It may also be a piece of rope or yarn. String can be made of various materials, such as wool, thread, and more.

Sometimes dogs eat string. They may be curious or just playing. But it’s a very common problem. But can string make a dog sick?

String & Dogs

Unfortunately, string can be extremely dangerous for dogs. The main issue, even for a shorter piece of string, is that it can become stuck in the dog’s intestines and cause an obstruction. String may also cause the intestines to become twisted. These are life-threatening conditions that must be treated as soon as possible by a vet.

One note: sometimes, after a dog eats string, the string may appear to be coming out of the dog’s anus. If this happens, do not pull the string out. Leave it there and head straight to the vet’s. If you pull the string, it could cause serious internal injuries to your dog.

Do not induce vomiting, as this could cause further injury or choke your dog.

Symptoms of String Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed string:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of String Ingestion in Dogs

When you reach the vet, they may perform an x-ray to see where the string is in the dog’s digestive tract. If the string is in your dog’s throat, the vet may use an endoscopic procedure to remove the string.

If the vet finds the string anywhere in your fur baby’s digestive tract, the vet will have to perform surgery to remove it. They will also have to repair any damage the string may have caused.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating string. In the future, it’s best to keep all string out of your dog’s reach (as much as possible). Prevention is always the best medicine, and your dog will stay healthy and happy in the process!

(Visited 657 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading