My Dog Ate Wild Mushrooms Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 12/26/20 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Do you enjoy foraging for wild mushrooms? Then you’ll know that some are edible, while others can be poisonous. But what about dogs? Can dogs eat wild mushrooms?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs & Wild Mushrooms

There’s a myth that says dogs won’t eat poisonous mushrooms, which is because they can smell the toxins in these fungi. However, the truth of the matter is that dogs will eat just about any type of mushroom. That’s a problem.

What Mushrooms are Toxic to Dogs?

There are a wide variety of toxic mushrooms; however, there are some wild mushrooms that seem to cause the most trouble.

Symptoms of Wild Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

The symptoms will depend on the type of wild mushroom the dog has eaten. Plus, the toxins also vary in each type of mushroom.

However, some of the most common symptoms of wild mushroom poisoning include:

Treating Wild Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

Treatment will depend on the type of wild mushroom the dog has eaten, along with any symptoms. If possible, it’s always a good idea to take a sample of the mushroom in with you to the vet’s. The, they can examine it and determine the type of mushroom and toxin. If you can’t bring a sample, try to take a photo of the mushroom. This could really help the vet determine the best course of treatment.

If your fur baby ate the mushroom recently, then the vet may induce vomiting. And if they can tell what type of mushroom your dog ate, the vet will also provide medication to counteract the poison. Your canine companion may need to stay in the hospital for a few days. This way the vet can monitor his symptoms and treat them right away.

If your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, then now’s the time to call the vet. It’s better to get this checked right away. If treatment is started early, then a dog has a great prognosis of surviving.

When you’re out and about in the forest with your dog, be sure to pay attention to what he’s eating. Keep him from eating wild mushrooms by training him to “drop” or “leave” things when commanded.

(Visited 617 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading