My Dog Ate Vicks Vaporub What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 02/02/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Vicks Vapor Rub is an ointment that’s found in many medicine cabinets. It’s great for colds and flu, sinus congestion, sore muscles, and more. But what happens if your dog eats Vicks Vapor Rub? Can Vicks Vapor Rub make your dog sick?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is Vicks Vapor Rub?

Vicks Vapor Rub is an ointment made of camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol. It can be sued to relieve nasal & chest congestion caused by colds and flu, as well as ease the congestion caused by sinus infections. Vicks can also be used to relieve minor aches and pains in muscles and joints.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Vicks is sometimes used in other ways, too:

But what if your dog ingests Vicks Vapor Rub? Will Vicks make your dog sick?

Vicks Vapor Rub & Dogs

Vicks contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs, including camphor. If ingested, your dog could become very sick.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested Vicks Vapor Rub:

If your dog has eaten only a small bit of Vicks, then the toxicity will be mild. However, if he’s eaten a large portion of a jar of Vicks, then you’ll need to call the vet right away.

Treatment of Vicks Vapor Rub Ingestion in Dogs

At the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog, which may include blood tests and other lab work. The vet will also look for signs of mouth and throat irritation.

If the vet determines your dog has eaten Vicks, then they may choose to use activated charcoal, gastric lavage, and more. Your fur baby will probably need an IV, which makes it easier to give him other medications as needed. If this is a severe case, the vet will want to keep your dog in the hospital for a few days to monitor his symptoms and recovery.

In most cases, dogs who eat a small amount of Vicks should be OK within a few hours. For a more severe case of toxicity, it will take a bit longer to recover. However, dogs who receive prompt medical care should go on to a full recovery.

(Visited 7,669 times, 11 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]