My Dog Ate Vicks Vaporub What Should I Do?
Vicks Vapor Rub is an ointment that’s found in many medicine cabinets. It’s great for colds and flu, sinus congestion, sore muscles, and more. But what happens if your dog eats Vicks Vapor Rub? Can Vicks Vapor Rub make your dog sick?
What is Vicks Vapor Rub?Check Price on Amazon
Vicks Vapor Rub is an ointment made of camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol. It can be sued to relieve nasal & chest congestion caused by colds and flu, as well as ease the congestion caused by sinus infections. Vicks can also be used to relieve minor aches and pains in muscles and joints.
Vicks is sometimes used in other ways, too:
- Heal feet: Vicks has been used to cure athlete’s foot and other conditions. The ingredients in the ointment have antimicrobial properties.
- Deter insects: it also seems to be effective against biting insects such as fleas and mosquitos.
- Alleviate headaches: Vicks is also used to help ease a sinus headache.
- Helps soothe dry skin: Vicks is also great for soothing very dry skin. The petroleum jelly in the product locks in moisture, and the menthol has antibacterial properties.
But what if your dog ingests Vicks Vapor Rub? Will Vicks make your dog sick?
Vicks Vapor Rub & Dogs
Vicks contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs, including camphor. If ingested, your dog could become very sick.
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested Vicks Vapor Rub:
- Burning throat and mouth
- Irritation of the mucus membranes
If your dog has eaten only a small bit of Vicks, then the toxicity will be mild. However, if he’s eaten a large portion of a jar of Vicks, then you’ll need to call the vet right away.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Vicks Vapor Rub Ingestion in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog, which may include blood tests and other lab work. The vet will also look for signs of mouth and throat irritation.
If the vet determines your dog has eaten Vicks, then they may choose to use activated charcoal, gastric lavage, and more. Your fur baby will probably need an IV, which makes it easier to give him other medications as needed. If this is a severe case, the vet will want to keep your dog in the hospital for a few days to monitor his symptoms and recovery.
In most cases, dogs who eat a small amount of Vicks should be OK within a few hours. For a more severe case of toxicity, it will take a bit longer to recover. However, dogs who receive prompt medical care should go on to a full recovery.