My Dog Ate Refried Beans Will He Get Sick?
Refried beans are extremely popular to eat with Mexican dishes. While you’re enjoying some refried beans, your canine companion may come over for his cut, too! However, are refried beans safe for dogs?
Has your dog eaten refried beans? Are you worried the refried beans will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at refried beans and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Refried Beans?Check Price on Amazon
Refried beans (called frijoles refritos in Spanish) are a dish that’s made with mashed beans and spices used in Mexican cuisine. Pinto beans are usually used for a refried beans recipe.
The beans are first boiled and then mashed to create a paste. At this point, the beans are then either baked or fried. The recipe may also call for salt, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, and lime juice.
This dish is usually a side dish that accompanies just about any type of Mexican or Tex-Mex main dish. Or they may be eaten alone, enjoyed in a tortilla, or even made to create a bean burrito.
While humans can enjoy refried beans, what about dogs? Can refried beans make a dog sick?
Refried Beans & Dogs
The good news is that refried beans, without other ingredients, are not toxic to dogs. However, it’s the other ingredients in the recipe that cause the problem.
For one thing, garlic is toxic to dogs. In addition, chili powder is too spicy for a dog’s digestive system. And cumin is also not safe for dogs. What’s more, the beans may contain a high level of fat, which can cause pancreatitis.
It may be that if your dog has eaten one small bite of refried beans, he will be OK. However, if your fur baby has had a larger helping of the beans, then he may become sick.
Symptoms of Refried Bean Ingestion in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
If your dog has eaten refried beans, you may notice these symptoms:
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, it’s best to call the vet right away. This could be an emergency as your dog could develop pancreatitis and/or have garlic poisoning.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have a very high chance of making a complete recovery!