My Dog Ate Red String Around Bologna What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 06/13/23 •  4 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dogs eat the strangest things sometimes! Some dogs have a penchant for eating non-food items, while others are more focused on things that are food or related to food. One such thing is the red string around bologna. Why would a dog eat that? We’ll explore that later in the article, though our focus is whether or not the red string on bologna can make a dog sick.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten the red string around bologna? Are you worried the red string around bologna will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about the red string around bologna and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

Dog Ate Red String Around Bologna

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is the Red String Around Bologna?

When you buy bologna, you may notice that red string around it. What is that stuff, anyway? The answer depends. For instance, some bologna is made with a red casing. Once the casing’s been sliced, it looks like a red string. That “red string” is made from the intestines of cows, pigs, or sheep. In this case, the string is completely edible.

However, if the bologna has been mass-produced, that red string could be a casing made from synthetic materials, such as collagen, plastic, or other fibrous materials. In that case, the red string is not edible and should be removed before eating.

In other cases, some bologna has the casing removed before it’s sold. So, there will be no “red string.”

Why do dogs eat the red string around bologna? The main reason is that the casing smells like meat. That’s all it takes to attract most dogs to the red string around bologna!

But what happens if a dog eats the red string around bologna?

The Red String Around Bologna & Dogs

No matter what the “red string” casing is made of, if your dog eats only a small amount of this, he should be OK. The string will likely pass safely through his digestive system and come out in his poop.

However, if your canine companion eats a long red string or eats a lot of short red strings from bologna, he could become sick. The string could become lodged in his digestive tract and cause an intestinal blockage. This is a dangerous condition that can be lethal if left untreated.

Symptoms of Red String Around Bologna Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten red string around bologna:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Red String of Bologna Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may run x-rays to see where the intestinal blockage is located. If the red string of bologna is located in the stomach, the vet may be able to remove it through an endoscopic procedure. However, if the ball of red string is located further into your canine companion’s intestines, the vet may need to perform surgery to remove the blockage safely. They will also repair any other damage the red casing may have caused.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after ingesting the red string of bologna. In the future, it’s best to keep your dog away from the red string of bologna. If your fur baby loves to dive into the trash for treats, you may want to consider investing in a dog-proof wastebasket. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 657 times, 3 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading