My Dog Ate a Zero Bar Will He Get Sick?
Do you enjoy eating a Zero Bar every once in a while? Does your dog sit at your feet, drooling and begging for a bite? This is a very common problem! Dogs love to eat what we’re eating, and they sometimes demand us to share a portion. However, it’s not a good idea to share candy with your dog, including Zero Bars.
Has your dog eaten a Zero Bar? Are you worried that the Zero Bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together some information about Zero Bars, their ingredients, and whether or not these bars can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Zero Bars?Check Price on Amazon
Zero Bars are a type of candy bar, which first came out in the 1920s. It’s an unusual candy bar in that it isn’t made with regular chocolate but with white chocolate. The white chocolate is what makes the Zero Bar somewhat different and unusual compared to other types of candy bars.
Zero Bars contain the following ingredients:
- White chocolate (listed as cocoa—less than 2%)
- Corn syrup
- Vegetable oil
- Skim milk
- Soy nuts
- Malted milk
- Artificial color
- Egg whites
- Sorbitan tristate
- Lecithin (soy)
- Hydrolyzed soy protein
- Artificial flavor
- Mono- and diglycerides
While these bars don’t contain regular chocolate, they do contain white chocolate. You may have heard that chocolate is toxic to dogs. And this is true. However, white chocolate is not as harmful to dogs. This is because it contains no theobromine.
White Chocolate Compared to Other Types of Chocolate
Theobromine is a substance found in chocolate, which acts as a stimulant and soft muscle relaxer in the body. Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine, which makes this substance very toxic to dogs.
However, in the case of white chocolate, it doesn’t contain theobromine. Or if it does, the amount is negligible. This is because white chocolate comes from the fat from cocoa (cocoa butter). This doesn’t contain theobromine.Check Price on Amazon
Zero Bars & Dogs
The good news is that Zero Bars, while they’re made with white chocolate, are not toxic to your dog. However, the sugar and fat in the Zero Bars are enough to make your dog sick.
When a dog eats too much fat and sugar, it’s possible he may develop a medical condition called pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). This can be a serious condition.
The symptoms of pancreatitis include:
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
So, if your dog has eaten a Zero Bar, pay close attention to his symptoms. If he shows any of the symptoms listed here, then be sure to call the vet immediately. This can be a life-threatening condition.
The good news is that most dogs, who receive prompt treatment, will go on to make a full recovery from pancreatitis!