My Dog Ate Red Ants What Should I Do?
Do you have fire ants in or near your yard? If so, then you’ll want to read this article! Everyone hates fire ants, and for a good reason! But what happens if a dog eats fire ants? Can fire ants make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten fire ants? Are you worried the fire ants could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when our dogs eat things they shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at red ants and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Red Ants?Check Price on Amazon
There are several types of red ants in the US; however, the ants most people think of when they hear the name “red ants” are fire ants! These ants are found in the south and southwestern parts of the country. They are famous for their painful sting!
The ants are very aggressive and will quickly swarm over anyone or animals they feel threaten their nest. This is what makes red ants so dangerous.
Fire ants were imported from Central and South America. While they weren’t really “imported,” they were accidentally transported to the country. This makes the fire ant an invasive species.
While fire ants can be dangerous, what happens if a dog eats these red ants?
Red Ants & Dogs
The good news is that red ants are not toxic if eaten. However, they pose another danger to your dog. If your dog happens to find some red ants in his food or if he visits the red ant nest out of curiosity, the ants will become angry and swarm.
The ants don’t bite; instead, they sting and release venom. The bite will cause pain and, in some dogs, could cause an allergic reaction. Some dogs may have a severe allergic reaction to the red ants. This means the dog could suffer an anaphylactic reaction, which can be life-threatening.
It’s even possible the red ants could sting your dog’s mouth and esophagus after being eaten. This can also lead to the closing of the airways, which will cause breathing difficulties.
Symptoms of Red Ant Bites in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten some red ants:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling around the face/mouth/paws
- Irritated skin/hives/scratching
If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog’s been bitten by red ants, then call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical care have a very high chance of making a full recovery!