My Dog Ate My Asthma Inhaler What Should I Do?
Asthma is a common but serious lung condition. Many pet parents have asthma and need an asthma inhaler to manage their symptoms. What happens if a dog eats an asthma inhaler?
Has your dog eaten an asthma inhaler? Are you worried the inhaler will make him sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information on asthma inhalers and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Asthma Inhaler?
An asthma inhaler is a device that contains a pressurized medication to treat asthma. Though, there are also inhalers that contain powdered asthma medication. The most common medication in a pressurized asthma inhaler is albuterol.
Albuterol is a bronchodilator, which means the medication opens the airways of the lungs to make breathing easier.
While asthma inhalers are safe for humans (when used correctly), what happens if a dog eats an asthma inhaler? Will the inhaler make a dog sick?
Asthma Inhalers & Dogs
Unfortunately, asthma inhalers can be toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Asthma Inhaler Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an asthma inhaler:
- Severely elevated heart rate
- Low potassium
- Heart arrhythmias
- Acute collapse
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Be sure to let the vet know what has happened and the type of asthma inhaler your dog has eaten. Tell the vet about what time this happened.
And when you head to the vet’s, be sure to take the inhaler with you. It helps the vet to see the asthma inhaler and the type of medication it contained.
At the vet’s, they will treat your dog immediately. It’s probably your fur baby will need to be hospitalized for a few days, as this type of poisoning is very serious. Your canine companion may also need IV fluids to keep him hydrated and to administer medications.
Dogs with asthma inhaler toxicity may experience symptoms for up to 48 hours or longer. It can take time for the vet to get your fur baby stabilized before coming home.
Asthma inhaler poisoning is a very serious health issue. The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment.
As always, it’s best to keep asthma inhalers and all medications where your dog can’t get them.