My Dog Ate Hot Shot Roach Bait What Should I Do?
Dogs love to eat roach bait for some reason. If you search the Internet, you’ll find many other pet parents who have dealt with this problem in their canine companions. No one is sure why dogs like to eat roach bait; however, what happens if dogs eat Hot Shot roach bait?
Has your dog eaten some Hot Shot roach bait? Are you worried the Hot Shot Roach bait will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Hot Shot roach bait and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Hot Shot Roach Bait?Check Price on Amazon
Hot Shot Roach Bait is a brand of roach insecticide. The liquid bait may be contained in a roach bait station. It works by the roach looking for a water source. Roaches can live for almost a month without food; however, they need water every several days. The roaches enter the bait station to get water and food but instead eat the poison. Roaches die within hours after eating Hot Shot roach bait.
The roach station is made of plastic and houses the food and the bait. The bait is made of chlorpyrifos (0.5%). This toxin works on the nervous system of the roaches by terminating the signals between the body and brain. This leads to paralysis and/or death.
Hot Shot Roach bait is extremely toxic to roaches, but what happens if a dog eats this toxin?
Hot Shot Roach Bait & Dogs
Hot Shot Roach bait contains chlorpyrifos, which is classified as an organophosphate insecticide. Chlorpyrifos is toxic to dogs; however, the toxicity of this insecticide depends on the amount of toxin eaten and the dog’s size and weight.
In dogs, it can take 1mg/kg of chlorpyrifos to poison a dog. So, if your dog has chewed up one Hot Shot roach bait trap, chances are he will be OK. It is possible, though, he could develop some digestive tract issues.
On the other hand, if your dog has eaten more of the poison and/or a number of bait traps, then call the vet right away.
One more consideration is whether or not your dog has also eaten the plastic bait station. If so, it’s possible the bait station could cause an intestinal blockage. This is a very serious medical condition that can lead to death if not treated. So, if your fur baby has eaten the bait station, then call the vet immediately. Don’t wait, as this could be an emergency.
Symptoms of Hot Shot Bait Ingestion in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Hot Shot Roach bait:
- Abdominal cramps
These symptoms may pass on their own in about a day; however, if they last longer than 24 hours, then it’s time to call the vet. The concern is that your dog could become dehydrated from constant vomiting and diarrhea.
Always call the vet if you’re concerned about your dog. They will have the best advice and guidance on what to do next to help your dog after he’s eaten Hot Shot Roach bait.