My Dog Ate Moldy Bread What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 10/05/22 •  2 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate Moldy Bread What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Does your dog like to dig in the trash and find something yummy to eat? If so, you’re not alone. Our canine companions are notorious for eating things they shouldn’t! This may include road kill, rotten meat, or even moldy bread. But what happens if a dog eats something like moldy bread?

Has your dog eaten moldy bread? Are you worried the moldy bread will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about moldy bread and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Moldy Bread?

Bread is a wonderful food that humans and dogs love. However, one of the downsides of bread is that it doesn’t last long. After a few days, you may notice some fuzzy stuff on the bread’s surface. This fuzzy stuff is called mold, and your bread has now become moldy bread.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Eating Mold is Dangerous

Mold contains mycotoxins which are poisonous substances. These mycotoxins are dangerous for humans and their canine friends. What’s more, there are many types of mycotoxins, some of which are more toxic than others.

So, dogs should never eat mold.

Symptoms of Mold Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten moldy bread:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

It’s recommended that you bring a sample of the bread your dog ate (if possible). The vet may be able to identify the mold and mycotoxins your canine companion has ingested.

Treatment of Moldy Bread Ingestion in Dogs

The vet will first work to decontaminate your dog’s system. They may do this by inducing vomiting, using activated charcoal, or gastric lavage. Your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.

The vet will also treat any other symptoms as they arise.

The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery after eating moldy bread. However, the best prognosis is for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment.

In the future, you may also want to consider buying a dog-proof wastebasket or garbage bin. Prevention is always the best medicine!

(Visited 50 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]