My Dog Ate Mint Leaves Will He Get Sick?
Mint is a very popular flavoring in many of the foods and treats we use. It’s even personal care products such as toothpaste, mouthwash and more. But is mint safe for dogs? What happens if your dog eats mint?
What is Mint?
Mint is an herb that’s used in drinks, foods, and more. In addition, essential oil can be extracted from the plant’s leaves. The essential oil can also be used to flavor food or even use in as a medicinal.
This herb comes in several varieties. In fact, there are over 600 varieties of mint! The most common varieties include apple mint, peppermint, basil mint, penny royal, and more.
Mint is used in all types of dishes including salads, sauces, side dishes, desserts, and more.
But can your dog eat mint?Check Price on Amazon
Dogs & Mint
Most varieties of mint are supposed to be non-toxic to dogs, except English pennyroyal. However, mint, in general, can still cause some health issues for dogs.
Symptoms of Mint Toxicity in Dogs
Mint can be toxic to dogs whether applied to the skin (as an essential oil) or ingested. You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested mint, or is reacting to mint on his skin:
- Skin irritation
- Liver failure
If you know for sure or suspect that your dog has eaten mint, then it’s best to go ahead and call the vet as soon as possible. This is especially the case if your dog is showing severe symptoms of any type.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Mint Toxicity in Dogs
When you reach the vet, they will first perform a physical exam on your dog. They will then order lab work, which will check the liver and other organs. Treatment will depend on the type and severity of symptoms your dog is experiencing.
For liver failure, the vet may treat your dog with IV fluids, along with vitamins B & C, which can help support the immune system. Fluids will also work to remove toxins from your dog’s system.
If your dog has eaten mint, then the vet may choose to induce vomiting, or use activated charcoal. And for mint essential oil applied to the skin, the vet will have your dog bathed and to remove the oil.
Your dog will have an excellent chance of a full recovery the sooner he receives medical treatment. After your dog recovers, it may be necessary to move any mint plants to another area, where the dog can’t get at them. And it’s a good idea to not use mint essential oil on your dog, unless you talk to your vet first.