Termites can be a huge problem for homeowners. These tiny creatures can damage wood in all parts of the home, even making the home structurally dangerous. Some people choose to apply DIY termite poison to get rid of the problem. But what happens if a dog finds and eats termite poison?
Has your dog eaten termite poison? Are you worried the termite poison will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it’s scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about termite poison and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Termite Poison?
Termite poison (also called termiticide) is made with chemicals used to get rid of termites. These poisons come in liquid, foam, gas, or granule formulations and can be used to control all kinds of termites in a home.
When termite poison is applied by a professional exterminator, they are required to do so safely. That means all members of the family, including the dog, must be away from the home for a time. These are professionals who have been trained to apply termite poison safely.
However, some people try to solve the termite problem on their own. In that case, it’s possible they may not read the termite poison instructions correctly. The poison may then be applied in a way that the family and their pets are exposed to these toxins.
Termite Poison & Dogs
We could not find information solely about this type of toxin in dogs. However, it is possible that termite poison could make a dog sick. So, if your dog has eaten termite poison, it’s a good idea to call the vet, even if your fur baby isn’t showing symptoms.
Symptoms of Termite Poison Ingestion in Dogs
Here’s a list of general symptoms that can develop after a dog eats termite or other insecticides:
- Excessive drooling
- Lack of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased heart rate
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Termite Poison Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment depends on your dog’s symptoms, whether severe or mild. Some common treatments of insecticide poisoning in dogs can include inducing vomiting & activated charcoal. These treatments keep the body from absorbing the poison.
Your dog may also be given IV fluids to rehydrate his body and administer medications. The vet will treat other symptoms as they arise. And your fur baby may need supplemental oxygen in some cases.
It’s possible your dog may need to remain hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. They have the best chance of making a full recovery.