My Dog Ate Milk Chocolate What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 07/22/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Is Milk Chocolate Bad For Dogs

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Don’t you just love milk chocolate? It’s extremely popular and can be found in baked goods, candy, and more! But what happens if a dog eats milk chocolate? Can milk chocolate make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten milk chocolate? Are you worried the milk chocolate will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together information about milk chocolate and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Milk Chocolate?

Milk chocolate is a type of chocolate that’s often used in chocolate bars. It can only be classified as milk chocolate if it contains at least 12% milk. Milk chocolate comes in many forms, including milk powder, condensed milk, regular milk, and more. This type of chocolate contains sugar and cocoa butter.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

While milk chocolate is safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can milk chocolate make a dog sick?

Milk Chocolate & Dogs

Unfortunately, milk chocolate is toxic to dogs. All forms of chocolate contain two substances that are toxic to dogs, which are theobromine and caffeine.

Theobromine and caffeine are toxic to dogs because a dog’s body is not able to metabolize these substances. That means theobromine and caffeine stay in the dog’s body longer, causing the dog to become sick.

The toxic amount of milk chocolate for dogs is more than 0.5 oz/pound of body weight.

Symptoms of Milk Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten milk chocolate:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Milk Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

The vet may induce vomiting and give your dog activated charcoal to remove the toxins from his system. Your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. The vet will treat your dog’s symptoms as they arise.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment and for those who eat only a small amount of milk chocolate.

As you can see, any form of chocolate can be toxic for dogs. So, make sure to keep all products and foods that contain milk chocolate and other forms of chocolate out of your dog’s reach.

(Visited 91 times, 1 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]