My Dog Ate Milk Chocolate What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love milk chocolate? It’s extremely popular and can be found in baked goods, candy, and more! But what happens if a dog eats milk chocolate? Can milk chocolate make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten milk chocolate? Are you worried the milk chocolate will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about milk chocolate and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Milk Chocolate?
Milk chocolate is a type of chocolate that’s often used in chocolate bars. It can only be classified as milk chocolate if it contains at least 12% milk. Milk chocolate comes in many forms, including milk powder, condensed milk, regular milk, and more. This type of chocolate contains sugar and cocoa butter.
While milk chocolate is safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can milk chocolate make a dog sick?
Milk Chocolate & Dogs
Unfortunately, milk chocolate is toxic to dogs. All forms of chocolate contain two substances that are toxic to dogs, which are theobromine and caffeine.
Theobromine and caffeine are toxic to dogs because a dog’s body is not able to metabolize these substances. That means theobromine and caffeine stay in the dog’s body longer, causing the dog to become sick.
The toxic amount of milk chocolate for dogs is more than 0.5 oz/pound of body weight.
Symptoms of Milk Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten milk chocolate:
- Elevated heart rate
- Abnormal heart rhythms
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Milk Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
The vet may induce vomiting and give your dog activated charcoal to remove the toxins from his system. Your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. The vet will treat your dog’s symptoms as they arise.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment and for those who eat only a small amount of milk chocolate.
As you can see, any form of chocolate can be toxic for dogs. So, make sure to keep all products and foods that contain milk chocolate and other forms of chocolate out of your dog’s reach.