My Dog Ate Marigolds What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 11/23/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Did you know that marigolds are one of the most popular annual flowers? They’re easy to grow and provide wonderful bright flowers that add a pop of color to any garden. They can grow in containers, too. They come in a wide range of colors, too—from red, to orange and yellow.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many have these pretty flowers in the garden to enjoy. But happens if our dog eats a marigold?

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Can Dogs Eat Marigolds?

Most species of marigolds are not toxic if eaten; however, there are some types of marigolds that are toxic. The good news is that these plants will only cause stomach upset and/or contact dermatitis if your dog touches the plants.

Even if your dog eats quite a few marigolds, while they may be toxic, they will not cause a life-threatening medical issue.

These are the most common types of marigolds in North America:

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Symptoms of Marigold Toxicity in Dogs

If your fur baby does happen to eat the poisonous types of marigold flowers, then you may notice these symptoms:

Treatment of Marigold Toxicity in Dogs

If you have seen your dog eating marigolds or parts of the plant, then it’s a good idea to call the vet. They’ll have the best advice on what to do next. If the vet advises you to bring your fur baby in, then be sure to take a part of the plant along with you.

The vet will perform a physical exam and run blood work such as a CBC, urinalysis, and fecal analysis to see if disease could be causing your dog’s symptoms. Treatment will depend on how much of the plant your fur baby has eaten, and whether or not the plant material has formed a blockage in the intestines.

The prognosis is excellent for dogs who receive prompt medical care. This is usually not a life-threatening issue, but it’s a good idea to have your canine friend checked by the vet to be sure.

(Visited 728 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]