My Dog Ate Lubricating Oil What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten lubricating oil? If so, you’re probably worried the lubricating oil will make him sick. We understand. It’s very scary when our fur babies eat things they shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about lubricating oil and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Lubricating Oil?
Lubricating oil can be something like motor oil, which is made out of petroleum products. These products are used in many applications—from oil for sewing machines to cars, airplanes, and more. The oils are blended to create different types of oils that have different physical and performance properties. For instance, sewing machine oil is much thinner than oil used for car engines.
One thing all lubricating oils do have in common is the petroleum products they’re made with. Petroleum products are extremely toxic for dogs.
Dogs can gain access to a number of lubricating oils in the house, in the garage, or even by licking some off the floor or driveway.
Lubricating Oils & Dogs
Lubricating oils can be toxic for dogs, especially in large amounts. If your dog has had one lick of such oils, then he will probably be OK. However, you should still monitor him for some of the symptoms below.
Symptoms of Lubricating Oil Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms in your dog if he has ingested lubricating oils:
- Skin/oral irritation
- Excessive salivation
- General weakness
- Head tremors
- Lack of coordination
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Respiratory failure
Even one lick could cause oral and skin irritation, so be sure to check your dog. If you notice any of these symptoms, then go ahead and call the vet. This is an emergency medical situation.
Treatment of Lubricating Oil Toxicity in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog. This may include lab work and other tests. Once the vet has made a diagnosis, he may choose to give your dog activated charcoal. Your fur baby may also need supplemental oxygen and IV fluids. The IV is also helpful to provide your dog with other medications that may be needed.
Your dog may also need antibiotics and/or steroids, depending on his symptoms.
The good news is that dogs who receive medical treatment right away have a very good chance of surviving. They also have a good chance of making a full recovery.