My Dog Ate Easter Grass What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 02/17/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Easter Grass

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Easter comes in the spring with dazzling flowers, new life rushing through nature, and more. It also is a holiday that brings families together, along with Easter baskets and all the frills! Many people use plastic Easter grass in their baskets, as it looks shiny and pretty. But what happens if a dog eats Easter grass?

Has your dog eaten Easter grass? Are you worried the Easter grass will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Easter grass and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Easter Grass?

Easter grass is a decoration used in Easter baskets. The “grass” is made from shredded plastic and comes in a wide range of colors. Some of the most popular colors are pink, green, and yellow.

While Easter grass is considered safe (when used as directed), what happens if a dog eats it?

Easter Grass & Dogs

Unfortunately, Easter grass is very dangerous for dogs. The problem is that the grass is long, like a string. If a dog eats a bunch of grass, it can clump together in the dog’s digestive system, leading to an obstruction. Intestinal obstruction can be a life-threatening condition if not treated.

Another problem with Easter grass is that it can get twisted up in the intestines. If this happens, the intestines become entangled and twisted, which is also a life-threatening situation.

Symptoms of Easter Grass Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Easter grass:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Note: if you notice Easter grass sticking out of your dog’s anus, do not pull it out. The grass could cause even more damage to your dog’s intestines if it’s pulled out.

Treatment of Easter Grass Ingestion in Dogs

In many cases of intestinal obstruction, surgery is required to remove the blockage and repair any damage it may cause. However, in some cases (depending on where the blockage is located), the vet may be able to remove the Easter grass with an endoscopic procedure.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical care after eating Easter grass. If your dog loves playing with and eating Easter grass, it’s best to keep him away from all Easter baskets and the grass. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 225 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading