My Dog Ate Lipitor What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 01/16/21 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dogs love to eat just about anything that looks or smells interesting to them! This even includes our medications! Have you ever dropped a pill on the floor, and your dog starts searching for it right away? He doesn’t want to miss out on what he believes could be a yummy morsel!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

But what happens if your dog takes Lipitor? Is Lipitor toxic to dogs?

What is Lipitor?

Lipitor (also called Atrovastatin) is a medication that works to lower bad cholesterol and fats (LDL and triglycerides) and raise good cholesterol (HDL) in the blood. This is drug is a statin, which works to reduce the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver. Lipitor may help lower the risk of heart disease and prevents strokes, as well as heart attacks.

Lipitor comes in tablet form and unlike other medications, it’s not used in veterinary medicine.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What if Your Dog Eats Lipitor?

Lipitor is not extremely toxic to dogs. However, there can be a major problem if a smaller dog ingests several pills.

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed Lipitor:

If your dog is small or large and swallowed one pill, he should be OK. One pill may cause some digestive issues, but this should pass within 24 hours.

However, if your dog (large or small) has swallowed several pills (or more), then it’s a good idea to call the vet right away. It’s just good to let them know what’s happened and seek their advice on how to handle the situation.

If your dog shows the following symptoms, then this is a medical emergency:

Please call your vet immediately—this is a medical emergency, and your dog needs to have medical care now.

The good news is that if your dog receives medical care right away, after eating several Lipitor pills, he should fully recover.

Prevention of Poisoning in Dogs

Prevention is always the best way to keep your dog from accessing medications he shouldn’t have. While accidents do happen, there are some things you can do to reduce the risk of medication poisoning in your dog:

Dogs are determined fur babies, so we have to everything possible to keep them safe and keep medications away from them.

(Visited 1,450 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading