My Dog Ate Resin What Should I Do?
Resin is used in many ways around the house. For example, epoxy resin can be used for artwork and more. But what happens if a dog eats resin? Can resin make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten some resin? Are you worried the resin will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at resin and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Resin?Check Price on Amazon
Epoxy resin is made of prepolymers and polymers, which are combined with a catalyst called a “hardener” that makes them cure and thicken up. When the resin and hardener are mixed together, they create an exothermic reaction, which creates a strong adhesive that has a resistant finish.
The epoxy resin may be used in artwork, flooring & other DIY home projects, construction, boat repair, and much more. The reason this material is so popular is that once it’s cured, the resin creates a smooth, durable, waterproof surface that is strong and lasts a long time.
When used correctly, epoxy resin is completely safe. However, what happens if a dog eats the resin?
Resin & Dogs
On its own, the resin is not considered toxic to dogs. This means that cured resin is also safe. However, uncured resin, which has been mixed with a hardener, can be toxic to dogs. In addition, the uncured resin can cause skin irritation and/or chemical burns.
If your dog has had a small lick of just plain resin, he should be OK. However, if he’s eaten uncured resin, this could make him very sick.
Symptoms of Resin Ingestion in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
First, if your dog has eaten resin, never induce vomiting unless the vet has told you to do this. The reason is that the resin could be inhaled into the lungs, where it can lead to other, serious complications.
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten resin:
- Lack of appetite
- And more
If your dog has eaten uncured resin, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Prevention is Always Best
To avoid problems like this next time, be sure to keep resins, hardeners, and other chemicals out of your dog’s reach. This may mean keeping these in a locked cabinet, up high so your dog can’t reach them. Prevention is the best medicine!